The Scholar Events Competition is your chance to organise an event for your fellow scholars – funded by Chevening.
Your event could be a cultural, sporting, or social activity - such as a museum visit, a trip to the theatre, a sports tournament, or a visit to a place of natural beauty. It’s entirely up to you!
Why apply to the Scholar Events Competition?
- Events are fully funded by the Chevening Secretariat
- It’s your choice – where in the UK do you want to go, and what do you want to do?
- Flexible timing – you can hold your event on a weekend!
- Further develop your leadership abilities
- It’s a chance to network with scholars from across the UK
What events have past winners have organised?
- Anna Marasas (University of Birmingham, 2017): ‘The Downton Abbey Experience: a journey into Highclere Castle!’
- John Shen (LSE, 2017): LGBT+ Historical Walking Tour of London
- Muhammad Asim Zeb (University of Leeds, 2016): ‘Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral Adventure’
- Manuel Besares (University of Nottingham, 2016): ‘The Robin Hood Experience: Visiting Sherwood Forest and Nottingham Castle’
- Girish Shivakumar (University of Cambridge, 2015): ‘Punting in Cambridge’
Want to know more? Hear what past winners have to say:
‘Do some research and apply for it! Despite the busy schedule you’ll find the time and support that you need. If required, don’t hesitate to contact Chevening Scholars in any city; you’ll get a very positive response.’ - Muhammad Asim Zeb (University of Leeds, 2016)
‘I challenged myself on this competition. I won, and I did/completed it well. Now I have more confidence in myself.’ - Mitchell Naibaho (University of Liverpool, 2016)
What are the key dates?
- First round: Applications open from Thursday, 1 November 2018 to Friday, 30 November 2018
- Second round: Applications open Thursday, 3 January 2019 to Thursday, 31 January 2019
- Third round: Applications open Friday 1 March 2019 to Friday, 29 March 2019
What else do I need to know?
Applications for the second round of the Scholar Events Competition in 2018/2019 will open on 3 January 2018.
- Terms and conditions for entering the Scholar Events Competition can be found here.
- You can view a sample application for the Scholar Events Competition here.
- Don't forget to check the Secretariat's events calendar to make sure your event is different to those that we already have planned.