Work experience requirements for individuals applying for a Chevening Fellowship.
General eligibility requirements for a Chevening Fellowship
To be eligible for a Chevening Fellowship you must:
- Be a citizen of a fellowship-eligible country or territory.
- Demonstrate the potential to rise to a position of leadership and influence.
- Demonstrate the personal, intellectual and interpersonal attributes reflecting this potential.
- Return to your country of citizenship at the end of the period of the fellowship.
- Have a postgraduate level qualification (or equivalent professional training or experience in a relevant area) at the time of application.
- Meet all programme-specific fellowship eligibility requirements.
- Not hold British or dual British citizenship.
- Not have received UK Government scholarship funding (including Chevening) within the last five years. You will only be eligible to apply for a Chevening Fellowship after a period of five years following the completion of your first UK Government-funded scholarship.
- Not be an employee, a former employee, or relative* of an employee of His Majesty’s Government, or have been within the last two years from the opening of Chevening applications (including the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, all British Embassies/High Commissions, the Home Office, the Ministry of Defence, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, the Department for International Trade and the UKVI), the British Council, a sponsoring UK university, or a staff member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
|*Immediate relatives are defined as parents or step-parents, siblings or step-siblings, children or step-children, spouse, civil partner or unmarried (where the couple have been in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least two years).|
To find out if there are any additional eligibility requirements for your chosen fellowship, please check the relevant programme page.
Find a programme to learn more about individual requirements.