Frequently asked questions
Can I open a bank account in the UK?
Scholars are required to open a bank account in the UK.
Fellows are generally unable to open a UK bank account because most high street banks do not open accounts for individuals residing in the UK for less than six months (please consult your chosen bank for more information). As such, a cash card is provided for your award allowances.
If you already have an active UK bank account and wish to use this instead of the cash card, you are required to advise your programme officer or the Fellowships team as soon as possible. A transfer fee may be applied and deducted from the funds transferred.
Most popular FAQs
- I have completed a HND, am I eligible for a Chevening Scholarship?
- Is there an age limit for Chevening Award applications?
- I applied last year, and I want to apply again, will my last result affect my chances this year?
- Why do you need my biography? (applies to Chevening Fellows only)
- Where can I go for help if I need specialist housing advice?