Leeds is one of the largest research-based institutions in the UK and in 2012/13 attracted £129m of research income. They are also one of the main centres for postgraduate teaching in the country, with over 5,000 postgraduate students from all over the UK and another 147 countries. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, they were ranked in the top 10 universities in the UK for research power, with 80% of their research classed as world-leading or internationally excellent. The University has been ranked 1st out of 16 participating Russell Group universities for “overall international student satisfaction” in the latest International Student Barometer survey.
Chevening and the University of Leeds
The University of Leeds has hosted Chevening Scholars since 1983, taking in 1,162 scholars in that time.
Leeds says: 'We aim to attract outstanding students with leadership potential from across the world to our study programmes, with an emphasis on diversity, ensuring that they create a distinctive and internationally relevant experience for all students.
'By partnering with Chevening, we are able to increase knowledge and opportunity for international scholars, who are then able to take this knowledge back to their own country and act as worldwide ambassadors towards the UK and the University of Leeds.
'The partnership brings exceptional scholars to the University of Leeds, who can build and sustain our cultural partnerships to enhance the student experience and to open up new opportunities for scholarship and research.'
Who do the University of Leeds support?
The University of Leeds welcomes applications from all Chevening eligible countries in any subject.
This year, the University of Leeds is also generously co-funding a number of Chevening Awards available to applicants who wish to study one of these specific programmes:
- MSc(Eng) Engineering Project Management
- Master of Public Health (International)
- MA Health Management, Planning and Policy
- LLM International Trade Law
- LLM International Banking and Finance Law
- LLM International Business Law
- LLM International Corporate Law
- LLM International and European Human Rights Law
- MSc International Business
- MA International Communications
The University of Leeds is also generously co-funding a number of Chevening Awards available to applicants from China who wish to study one of these specific programmes:
- MSc(Eng) Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- MSc(Eng) Electrical Engineering and Renewable Energy Systems
- MSc GIS Geographical Information Systems
- MSc International Health
- MSc Economics and Finance
- MSc Molecular Medicine
- MA Global Development
- MA Conflict, Development and Security
- MA Religion and Public Life
- MA Religious Studies and Global Development
All applicants who wish to be considered for an award at Leeds are encouraged to select the university as their first preference within their Chevening application.