You are responsible for paying any accommodation deposits yourself; The Chevening Secretariat will not be able to make any payments directly to your landlord or accommodation provider.

If you are required to pay a deposit, you should ask your landlord if you can delay payment of it until you arrive in the UK.  You can provide a copy of your Final Award Letter (FAL) to your landlord to show that you will be in receipt of funding when you arrive in the UK.

Please remember that if you pay your deposit on your cash card, you will receive the deposit back on this card at the end of the year so it is important that you keep it safe.

Unfortunately, there are several scams that rogue landlords use to try and extort money from international students.  If you are looking at private housing then please seek advice from your university housing service.  This site from the UK housing charity Shelter also offers advice.