Event ticket balloting
Some of our events are so popular that the first-come first-served system of ticketing produces unfair outcomes. For these events, we operate a ticket ballot system.
Whilst ticketing for most events operates on a first-come, first-served basis, we run a ballot system for our most popular events. In these cases, scholars who register interest in attending an event are all added to a waiting list. Tickets will then be randomly assigned once the 48-hour ticket registration period is over.
The ballot system works as follows:
- Ticket registration will open on Eventbrite as normal (i.e. at a certain time on a certain day). Unlike the first-come, first-served system you will not be reserving a ticket at this point: you will be entering the ticket ballot by adding yourself to the waiting list.
- Please do not add yourself to the waiting list unless you are sure you can attend the event if you are allocated a ticket. You will not receive a confirmation email when you add yourself to the waiting list. You will only receive a confirmation email if you are allocated a ticket after the waiting list has closed.
- Ticket registration will be open for 48 hours. This should allow all interested and available scholars to enter into the ticket ballot by adding themselves to the waiting list.
- After 48 hours the waiting list will be closed. Tickets will be randomly assigned between scholars who registered for a ticket.
- You will be notified by email if you have been successful and been assigned a ticket. The email will contain a link which must be followed in order to claim your ticket. Please do not book any travel prior to receiving this confirmation email.
- If you have not been assigned a ticket, you will be notified by email with instructions that you were not successful in the first round of ticket allocation, however that you remain on the waiting list in the event of any tickets becoming available (as is standard practice with our first-come, first-served system).
Please email your programme officer if you have any questions or feedback about this system.