Below are some tips and advice for applicants when using the online application system:
1) Use the Google Chrome web browser as this is recommended for the best experience.
2) When completing your application form, work in a full-size window. This will make the application form easier to read in its original format.
3) Don't use your browser's 'back' and 'forward' buttons. This will take you out of the system and you will lose all unsaved work. Navigate through the pages of the application form by using the menu links in the form.
4) Remember your username and password. This saves time when you want to log back in to the online application system.
5) Enter information accurately, especially your contact details. Please ensure that you enter a valid email address. If it changes after you have submitted, please ensure you update it in your application otherwise you may miss important updates from the Chevening Secretariat. If you provide a second email address, please ensure that it is valid and different from your first.
6) You can preview all sections of the application form at the start of your session and before you start to complete it to familiarise yourself with what is required.
7) Consider preparing your answers offline. The application form may take some time to complete so you may wish to prepare your answers offline and then paste your answers into the online form where appropriate. This is particularly relevant if you're using a public computer, like in an internet cafe.
8) Application questions have word counts. In the application form there is a set of questions you are required to answer. There is a minimum word count of 100 words per answer and maximum of 500 words per answer so please ensure you meet these requirements. Answers that are less than 100 words will not be considered.
9) Save as you go! There is no automatic save function on the system and each session will close after 60 minutes, even if you are still actively editing the form. Any unsaved entries will be lost, so you are strongly encouraged to save regularly to avoid losing your work!
10) You do not have to complete the form in one session. Always remember to save your work. Use the 'Logout' button (top right corner of the page) and keep a note of your username and password so that you can come back and finish off your application later. You will also be able to access your application via a link you will receive in an email.
11) Do not plagiarise. If content from other sources is used to answer the application questions, they will be considered as plagiarised, and your application will not be passed on to the reading committee, the independent body that undertakes a first review of all eligible applications received. We therefore strongly encourage you to thoroughly check your answers, ensuring they are original and not copied from other sources.
12) Please apply in English. Applications must be submitted in English. Any application not submitted in English will be deemed ineligible.
13) Check the size and format of the files you intend to upload and ensure they meet the requirement. The online system will only accept PDF documents no larger than 5 MB. Please ensure that the filename length does not exceed 50 characters.
14) Only submit your application once you’re completely satisfied with it. When you are satisfied with your application, click the 'Submit' button. Please note that once you have done this, you may not modify your application except for the contact details section. We do anticipate a high volume of applications, so please give yourself enough time to submit the strongest application possible.
15) Remember, you can only submit one application. We will only accept your first application. In order to withdraw from the process you will be asked to provide a reason for doing so before the withdrawal is final. If you choose to withdraw your application you will not be able to start another application until applications open again in 2019.