Chevening does not assist with finding accommodation and scholars are responsible for making their own arrangements. Some fellowships include accommodation and where this is the case, it will be communicated with you in your pre-departure Fellowgram.

Before your arrival in the UK you should contact your university’s accommodation office for advice about finding accommodation. You can consider taking advantage of university housing where this is available.

Find what you’re looking for

Answers to key questions

Have you been asked to pay a deposit?

Don’t pay a deposit until your scholarship has been confirmed and you have seen the property. Any deposit payment made is done at your own risk. Share your Final Award Letter (FAL) with your accommodation provider as evidence of your scholarship. Some universities may waive the deposit on receipt of your FAL, which shows you will receive a monthly stipend. The Secretariat is unable to pay any deposits on your behalf. Contact your university or students union for advice.

Have you been asked for a guarantor?

You may be asked to provide a guarantor: someone who is legally obligated to cover any payments if you fail to do so. Show your Final Award Letter as evidence of your fully-funded scholarship. We cannot act as your guarantor. It is your responsibility to communicate with the accommodation provider; we cannot communicate on your behalf.

Have you been asked to pay upfront rent payments, either in full or termly instalments?

We provide you with a monthly living allowance which you can use to meet all living and travel costs during your scholarship. Ask your accommodation provider for monthly payments and share your FAL with them. If monthly payments are not an option, please take a look at the short-term loan section of this page for further information.

Frequently asked questions

Not answered your question here? Please take a look at our accommodation FAQs.