Apply for the Chevening/BBC World Service Group Professional Placement Programme
The Chevening Secretariat and BBC World Service Group are pleased to invite applications (from 6 April) for the Chevening/BBC World Service Group Professional Placement Programme, commencing in September 2018.
Successful applicants will complete a four month placement at the BBC.
Depending on their skills and interests, successful applicants could be placed in one of a number of areas of World Service Group activity including: World Service news programmes, BBC News online, World Service radio, digital output, BBC Media Action, BBC Monitoring, one of the BBC World Service language services, or Solutions-Focused Journalism.
The programme will also include:
- Enrolment on a bespoke one-week course at the BBC College of Journalism.
- Access to College of Journalism courses on the same basis as BBC staff. Awardees will be expected to complete at least one additional course during their placement.
- Successful applicants will be supervised at a BBC location in London, and will have a BBC mentor to assist them during the placement.
- Successful applicants will receive a stipend of £1,307 from Chevening for the duration of the placement, in addition and in order to meet the BBC standards under the New Talent Policy, the BBC will provide a ‘top up salary’ of £423.67. Successful applicants will be expected to find suitable accommodation themselves.
To see what 2016/2017 scholars did whilst on placement, take a look at their #MyCheveningJourno blog for stories and videos about life at the BBC.
Up to ten placements are available to current Chevening Scholars studying relevant degree programmes in the UK. Due to the nature of the professional placement, applicants must also demonstrate that they have at least two years’ experience as a working journalist, and/or have or will have completed a master’s in journalism from a UK university by the time that the placement starts.
Applications will open at 10:00 BST on 6 April 2018 and will close on 20 April 2018 (at 17:00 BST).
To apply, you must complete a Chevening/BBC World Service Group Professional Placement Programme application form, AND submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- An up-to-date CV.
- Status letter from you university that confirms the end date of your course.
- A copy of your passport data page as well as a copy of your current Tier 4 visa/BRP ensuring eligibility to complete the placement in line with immigration regulations. Your visa needs to last long enough for you to complete this placement – until end of December 2018.
- A complete Chevening/BBC World Service Group Professional Placement Programme application form.
The form is available to complete here when applications open at 10:00 on 6 April.
In addition, applicants must consent to making their original Chevening applications available to the BBC (the information provided to the BBC by Chevening will not be transferred to any other third party without contacting you first).
Should applicants be successful in the first round of applications, they will be invited to interview with the BBC.
Please note that successful applicants are expected to honour their commitment to return to their country of origin upon completion of their placement. The BBC will not offer any professional placement to anyone beyond the terms of their current visa.