Founded in 1963 on the principles of excellence, equality and opportunity for all, the University of York has become one of the world's leading universities, carving out a reputation as an academic powerhouse.
The university prides itself in delivering a world-class education within a supportive and encouraging community. At York, students will be taught and inspired by leading experts in their field. The opportunity to work alongside globally recognised authors, researchers, and industry experts is just one of many attractions drawing student to York.
Chevening and the University of York
'We already host around 20 Chevening Scholars every year and they bring the enthusiasm, international perspective, and outstanding academic performance we value so highly at York. We also recruit many excellent students from China at both undergraduate and master's level.
'The new partnership with Chevening will appeal to talented master's scholars from China with the potential to become future leaders in the creative arts and related industries, as well as those with a concern for social and global justice. The partnership is an N8 initiative and we think the N8 is the best way to promote the excellence of northern universities whilst also aligning with our ambition for greater recognition in China of our research.'
Who do York support?
The University of York welcomes applications from all Chevening-eligible countries in any subject. This year, York is also generously co-funding a number of awards specifically available to applicants from:
Department of Chemistry
- MSc in Green and Sustainable Industrial Technology
Department of Computer Science
- MSc in Advanced Computer Science
- MSc in Cyber Security
- MSc in Human-Centred Interactive Technologies
- MSc in Safety Critical Systems Engineering
Department of Economics and Related Studies
- MSc Development Economics and Emerging Markets
- MSc in Economics and Public Policy
Department of Electrical Engineering
- MSc in Digital Systems Engineering
Department of Education
- MA in Global and International Citizenship Education
- MA in Social Justice and Education
Department of Environment
- MSc in Environmental Economics and Environmental Management
- MSc in Environmental Science and Management
- MSc in Marine Environmental Management
- MSc in Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management
Department of Health Sciences
- Master of Public Health
- MSc in Applied Health Research
Department of History of Art
- MA in History of Art
The York Law School
- LLM in International Corporate and Commercial Law
- LLM in International Human Rights Law and Practice
- LLM in Legal and Political Theory
Department of Music
- MA in Community Music
- MA in Music Production
Department of Politics
- MA in Public Administration and Public Policy
- MA in International Political Economy
- MA in International Relations
Department of Psychology
- MSc in Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience
Department of Sociology
- MA in Culture, Society and Globalisation
Department of Social Policy and Social Work
- MA in Social Policy
- MA in Global Social Policy
- MA in Global Crime and Justice
- MA in Comparative and International Social Policy
Department of Theatre, Film and Television
- MA in Digital Film and Television Production
- MA in Theatre: Writing, Directing and Performance
- MA/MSc in Postproduction with Visual Effects
- MA/MSc in Postproduction with Sound Design
All applicants who wish to be considered for an award at York are encouraged to select the university as their first preference in their Chevening application.
Mohamad Hejazi Dinan
MSc Communications Engineering 2017/2018
'The University of York is the right place for all enthusiastic students wishing to pursue their studies. The university campus is a kind of huge parkland with a lake which makes it a very beautiful and tranquil place helping you to focus on your studies. All teachers are very helpful and supportive; also staff are kind and proactive.
'The university is close to the city centre of York. York city is beautiful, historic, and full of culture. People are kind, warm, and welcoming. York is a popular destination for tourists in the UK and is a very safe city to live. Walking around the city after a hard day's study will make you feel refreshed. The city is full of restaurants, bars, and pubs where you can spend your free time with your friends and enjoy experiencing British life.'